Sunday, July 13, 2014

Chanel Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Quadra Eyeshadow in TISSÉ VENITIEN

This Chanel photograph caught my attention before I saw any of the new Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Quadra Eyeshadows ($61). The model's eye color is similar to mine, and I love green eye shadows. I stared at it wondering how quickly I could buy that shadow, which turned out to be TISSÉ VENITIEN. I ordered it the next day.

TISSÉ VENITIEN (#232) is magnificent. It was the quad that I chose to introduce the new collection. These colors make my heart race. I feel like an artist who has just discovered an entirely new palette, and I can't wait to explore its variations.

I didn't see the shadow of myself when I took my own photo of TISSÉ VENITIEN, and now I'm too "limpy" to zoom outside and take another. "Limpy" is my new term for times when my knees are screaming at me, "Don't you dare move!"

I summarized the qualities of the new Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Quadra Eyeshadows here, in yesterday's feature. I don't see any reason to repeat them. If you are new to this Chanel series, just pop over to the hyperlink "here."

I took my swatch photos of this treasure using my new camera body, which seems to pick up green better than the old one did. What I plan to do with the old one is still up in the air. I may just keep it for spare parts. I can imagine spending as much to get it repaired as I spent to buy the new body (which was on sale because Panasonic is about to go to its second generation micro four thirds camera).

I used a sponge-tipped applicator to apply all shades fairly heavily, and I took my photos in full, early-afternoon sun. I swatched starting with the green at top left and working clockwise around the quad as I moved down my arm. As I look at the swatch photos, I have an urge to re-take them, but then my knees send me a contrary message.

Do eye shadow shades get any prettier? Look at the green at the top of my arm. It is clearly one of the shadows used on the model's eyes above. It offers an element of teal, I think. I'm not sure how to describe it. It offers a gleam - no glitter or sparkle, just a stunning gleam to the lids. It reminds me of shimmering tropical seas.

The pink shade is very light and sheer. It is the perfect base shade for use with the other colors. You can also use it as a highlighter under your brows. You might be surprised at how beautifully it enhances the green shades - even from a slight distance.

When I first saw the charcoal green, I feared it would be too dark - just another charcoal. It's not. You can see the green in it much better in person than in my photo. It will serve nicely as either a liner shade or a contour shade if applied lightly.

The silver green was a surprise. I adore it! I expected "just another silver." Instead, I saw a silver with a slight green tint - stunning alone and with the other shades.

This is definitely my favorite of the four Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Quadra Eyeshadow quads I purchased. I love them all, so being the "best in show" in a show of full of beauties is quite a distinction.

I purchased four of the quads from Chanel's Web site. They are winging their way to all Chanel counters and online retailers now. I know from comments that many of you have already selected and purchased your favorites. For those who haven't sprung for one of the new quads, make sure to get a look-see soon.


Photos at top courtesy of Chanel; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think these new shadows are too shimmery for an older woman with slightly hooded eyes? I love the quads, but find that too much shimmer accentuates the fine lines in my eyelids.

Eileen said...

This was the one that made my heart skip a beat <3 One of my all time favorite Chanel quads was Murano from the Venice Collection Fall 2009. I adored its cool, hazey greens with a delicate pink to soften the overall green look. I find Vénitien to be similar in concept and color tone but thoroughly modern in texture and finish. It's also a more subtle approach to the green theme than was Murano.because of the addition of that shimmery beige with its subtle hint of cool green. I'm absolutely in love with the beauty of Chanel's new pigments. It couldn't get any prettier than Vénitien.

Nemo said...

Tisse Gabrielle (where do they get all these "tisses" by the way?) is similar to Venitien in the green shades. Do not be afraid of Gabrielle! It's supposed to be the darker, smoky one, but it is sheer and lovely like the others. I am so enjoying these quads! Hope all is well with your knee, Cg.

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous, most of them are not shimmery. Quite a few of the colors are satin, and some offer more of a gleam than overt shimmer. I'd give one a try in the store if you can.

Grlnxdor said...

This quad reminds me a bit of last summer's Dior offering of Bonne Etole(spelling?) I'm loving the coolness of these greens touched with silver. These colors look totally wearable and not the least bit frosty, just perfectly glowing.

Melanie said...

Nemo, tissé refers to the woven tweeds. And I agree that Gabrielle is not as dark as it appears. Still not loving the formula, though.

VancouverChic said...

I'm in love ... gotta get it!

Thanks for the swatches CG.

Joanne ~ VancouverChic

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I quickly went over to the Chanel site yesterday to take a look at the other quads, since the one you showed was so beautiful, and I have to admit, my heart beat a little faster when I saw this one! I was hoping you'd choose it to review and here's my reward! Lovely, absolutely lovely, and sheer. The photos are great, too. Protect those knees!

Eileen said...

Hi Anonymous,

These quads do have shimmer but in most cases it is subdued and ultra fine. It is there to add dimension rather than sparkle and the overall effect of the shadows is more satin-like in finish. Some of the quads have more shimmer than others and there are even some shades that come close to being metallic when applied damp. None of them are overtly glittery, though, and they are far less shimmery than YSL's new offerings. I recently turned 70 and, although I don't have any hooding or even much in the way of wrinkles, I do have some crepeiness. But, so far, I haven't had any problem with the shadows emphasizing my lids' uneven texture.

If you look at the promo picture for Vénitien, as beautiful as it is, it's bold shimmer and metallic gleam would be enough to scare off many an older woman. However, when you compare that look to the swatches on Charlestongirl's arm, it's easy to see that Vénitien is actually one of the softest, most flattering palettes around--and she swatches heavily with sponge tip applicators so that we can see the colors! It's your tools and technique that will ultimately determine whether you get a whisper of color or a bold dramatic look. So, don't let your age stop you from trying these new beauties, Anonymous. Go to your counter. Play and have fun and don't be surprised if you come home with a new quad :-)

Hi Nemo,

I read somewhere that the color combinations of these quads are based on Chanel tweeds; hence Tissé. I have the feeling that it won't be long until we all abandon the word tissé when saying the names of these quads. It does seem a bit silly :-)

Nemo said...

Hi, Eileen! So that's what Tisse is about, huh? Makes no sense whatsoever, but I won't have a tisse fit over it!

Jo said...

This is a beautiful quad. I stopped by Nordstrom yesterday and they had just gotten all the new quads in. The SA told me that Venitien and Vendome were the two most popular so far. I have not picked one (or two) up so far, I am still deciding.

I hope you get better news about your knee CG.

Gauri said...

This seems like a good quad, will check it out...

Christina said...

I can't wait to check this one out at the store. Thank you so much for posting this specific quad.

If anyone has worries of shimmer, why not look into Serge Lutens eye shadow set? I have one and I can't believe how beautiful they are!

I want this quad for a change :)

bisbee said...

Oh dear...your swatches are going to make a liar out of me (when I said I don't use or buy shadows anymore)...this is beautiful! My eyes are green...I've been using nothing but a Chanel pencil to tightline top and bottom, with a slight silvery line under the bottom lashes. This quad seems to fit right into my personal "palette" of colors. Done!

Eileen said...

Hi Bisbee,

If you like the look of silver beneath your lower lashes, you'll love the silvery beige shade in this palette. Of the four shades, it has the most shimmer. It can be applied as a hint of sparkle or all the way up to a full on metallic gleam. The intensity will depend on which tools and technique you choose to use. The shimmer itself is a complex mélange and is meant to coordinate and reinforce the other shades in the quad. It would look drop dead gorgeous glimpsed beneath black lashes and would bring light and sparkle to green eyes. The other three shades are beautiful, too, but since you mentioned you like a silver look beneath your lower lashes, I thought I'd share a bit more info with you about the silvery beige shade.

Resham said...

This would looks so pretty when applied wet!

Polarbelle said...

I'm so glad they re-did the shadows. I've always found the quads a little hit and miss, with 2 or 3 of the shades being lovely and 1 or 2 just really horrible quality. On me anyway. So the good news for quality will spell bad news for my wallet!! No talc??? Count me IN!! Starting with this one!

Allison said...

I have a been a bit behind on my blog readings. As I have picked up crocheting as a hobby. Darn it! it's a blast! I find my self not wanting to stop and check email etc, lol. Looking thru my subscribed blog posts, I noticed the Chanel quads you have written about. I had no idea Chanel reformulated their eyeshadow! Now, I do have alot of Chanel quads. Also some baked ones, like Rose Envolee. I don't like the baked formula's as well as the US eyeshadows. Is the new formula, the baked kind? Or does it just appear that way?
Thank You sooo much for all the hard work and money you put into showing us all the must have's and must not have's :-) I really enjoy reading your posts. This is how I keep in touch with the makeup world.
~Hugs~

Anonymous said...

Hi CG,
Curious to know between this one and the Cle de Peau 302, which one do you like better? They are both "green" themed and I only want to buy one...don't know if that matters, but I have brown eyes. Thanks in advance!