Friday, June 13, 2014

The Friday Forum - June 13 - and By Kilian Scented Jewelry

Friday the 13th, and the Satsuki azaleas are blooming. It's sucn a pretty time of year. We have been drenched this week, so the azaleas aren't terribly happy. Later today, the last storm is predicted to move through, bringing a "cold front" that will take the humidity out of the air. I'm expecting a great weekend for everyone celebrating Father's Day.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I learned that Kilian Hennessey is introducing scented jewelry. I've always been underwhelmed with the concept, although I've never been underwhelmed by Kilian. WWD quoted Kilian as saying, "We are living in a world where things that are invisible don’t exist,” referring to the plethora of images on everything from Instagram and Pinterest to Facebook. “Perfume is an accessory in the same way shoes and handbags are. But it’s an accessory that is not visible.”

Now, he will be providing visible fragrance. The Jewels of l’Oeuvre Noire, a capsule line of four necklaces for women, each one coming in 18-karat-gold plate and pure rhodium. There’s an onyx bead tassel necklace (whose cord is microencapsulated with one of six By Kilian scents), plus two other tasseled models and one with a locket. Each involves a cage system made of perforated metal that holds a ceramic piece onto which fragrance can be applied.

The Leathers of l’Oeuvre Noire are four bracelets - in a selection of five scents - for men in either brown-and-gold or black-and-silver finishes. Their fragrance is said to last up to one year. Hennessy designed them all. Tassels have appeared on the snazzy By Kilian fragrance boxes, and the metal shield design is on some of the jewelry, as well. “It’s always essential shapes,” he said.

Prices for the women’s line range from $245 for the locket necklace to $465 for the onyx piece. The bracelets run from $195 to $325. The jewelry is set to launch Sunday in the By Kilian boutiques in New York, and Moscow, plus online through bykilian.com. Its rollout will include London’s Harrods and Bergdorf Goodman in September and the upcoming Kilian boutiques in Paris; Lugano, Switzerland; Doha, Qatar; Seoul, and Dubai through year end. Will you be shopping?

It's time for the Friday Forum. I love this part of our week. What new products did you discover this week? Did you find any deals you couldn't resist? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers will have moved on.

Photo courtesy of Southern Living; Kilian information and photo courtesy of WWD

6 comments:

Tatiana said...

I am really, really, really curious about these Kilian scented necklaces. I wish there was a boutique out here in CA, so I could check them out in person. Like all jewelry, it all depends on the scale and quality of the craftsmanship. Although, with Kilian I am not worried about the craftsmanship.

I am always trying to find the right skincare for my aging, rosacea, surface dry but oily skin. Sigh.

I did get a sample of the newish Armani CC cream in #1. The SA that helped me was not with the Armani line, but she took one look at me and said I was definitely a #1 and that #2 would be too dark. That's only the second time that's happened. Usually SA want to match me on the dark side.
I've worn it three times so far (yes it was a generous sample) and I'm really liking it. It corrects for the redness well enough that I don't feel like I need concealer all over. It has a very natural look to it. At the end of the day when I take it off, my skin looks a tad better. So for me, it works.

Lisa said...

I went to Sephora today hoping to check out the Givenchy Le Rouge shades. There are 6 that I have seen swatched online that interest me. Sadly I left empty handed. Although they are available online, and the Givenchy rep came by many weeks ago, they have no idea when they will receive them in the store. I find new releases are often slow in arriving at Sephora. One pleasant surprise was sampling the Perricone tinted serum. Quite lovely! The light shade perfectly complements my skin tone. May have to purchase this!

Lisa said...

I meant to emphasize the NEW 2014 shades for Le Rouge!

Kiss & Make-up said...

Those necklaces really sound interesting, I am intrigued by the concept!

Chateepatee said...

Hi CG- The concept of scented jewelry is not new- it's been around for many, many decades, as I have a few lockets and charms from various European perfumeries.The more modern ones have the porous stone center, but I also have antique and Asian ones that have thickly braided silk threads inside. I would be hesitant to spend so much on the ones being offered thru By Kilian since they are only gold plated. The purpose of using high carat gold was for when the locket nestled against a woman's buxom, her body heat would warm the gold thus allowing the scent to provocatively entice her par amour. He could then nuzzle her neck without fear of tasting his lovers oily perfume.... No lie- this is the story told to my husband and I.
Is it true? I have no idea, but it sounds plausible, and rather romantic.
But perfume as an accessory? Good marketing for the jewelry I would think.
As for shopping, I am looking to order the whole shabang of Dr. P's NoMakeup Makeup. I'm fond of his company's products, and the reviews are as I expected.
Here's to a week full of sunshine and No RAIN!
Best Regards to you and your Mom CG.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi, I know it's not new. It's actually almost ancient. The first of my favorite brands to do it was Le Métier de Beauté. I was unimpressed. The prices were high, and the quality was...