Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Fragrance Foundation 2014 Awards

The Fragrance Foundation announced its prestigious annual awards on June 17. I've always found the awards interesting. They are aimed at the "commercial" side of the fragrance market and often reflect the taste of the masses, not those who consider themselves perfume aficionados.

Clinque Happy has been around for so long, and it continues to please. It's no wonder it was inducted into the Hall of Fame. I'm thrilled for NEST Fragrances for its award for Passion. I'm also excited for by Kilian and Aedes de Venustas.

I'm curious. Did Chanel win a media campaign award for Brad Pitt? Really?

Here are this year's award winners.

Fragrance Hall of Fame: CLINIQUE HAPPY - Clinique

Bath and Body Line of the Year: PEONY & BLUSH SUEDE BODY CRÉME AND BODY & HAND WASH - Jo Malone London

Fragrance of the Year
Men's Luxury: TOM FORD RIVE D’AMBRE - Tom Ford Beauty
Men's Popular: VICTORIA’S SECRET VERY SEXY PLATINUM FOR HIM - Victoria’s Secret
Men's Prestige: POLO RED - L’Oréal/Ralph Lauren Fragrances
Women's Luxury: PRIVÉ ROSE D’ARABIE - Giorgio Armani
Women's Popular: VICTORIA BY VICTORIA’S SECRET - Victoria’s Secret
Women's Prestige: MODERN MUSE EAU DE PARFUM - Estée Lauder

Indie Award: PLAYING WITH THE DEVIL - by Kilian

Interior Scent Collection of the Year: PASSION COLLECTION FOR THE BREAST CANCER RESEARCH FOUNDATION - NEST Fragrances

Perfume Extraordinaire of the Year: MANE – AEDES DE VENUSTAS, IRIS NAZARENA by Perfumer Ralf Schwieger

Hall of Fame: MICHAEL GOULD, Former Chairman and CEO of Bloomingdale’s

Perfumer of the Year Lifetime Achievement: CARLOS BENAIM, Master Perfumer of IFF

Packaging of the Year
Men's: BOTTEGA VENETA POUR HOMME - COTY
Women's: HONEY MARC JACOBS - COTY

Editorial Excellence in Fragrance Coverage
Article: Notes to Self - ELLE
Feature: Department of Synergy - ELLE
Online: Meet the New Scent Aficionados, The Goodsmellas - ELLE.com

Media Campaign of the Year
Men's: POLO RED - L’Oréal/Ralph Lauren Fragrances
Women's: JEAN PAUL GAULTIER CLASSIQUE - Beauté Prestige International, N°5 - Chanel

Photos courtesy of newyork.com and NEST Fragrances

5 comments:

Behindthepillar said...

Amazed at Victoria's Secret success. All their fragrances smell the same to me and very generic. I suppose the marketing is successful. Susan, London

AnnaR said...

How funny! I tested a sample of the Armani Rose D'Arabie today, from the Neimann Marcus camp gorgeous (thanks for mentioning it, CG, I would have missed it.) Maybe it's just my skin chemistry- it was nice, but I wouldn't pick it as award winning. Fragrance is so personal, I don't know how it is possible to choose a "best." I agree, I think these winners are designed to appeal to the masses.

Eileen said...

Whoa! Tom Ford's Rive D'Ambre got the award for men's fragrance!?!? I've been wearing this tangy, citrusy scent whenever the weather heats up and it elicits compliments galore. I've had more than one person tell it reminds them of summer along the Meditterranean. Seeing as I live just a few miles from the ocean in Southern California, the description works for me :-). I love this refreshing unisex scent for warm summer days.

Mandy Wenchel said...

It's amazing to learn that there is also awards for fragrance, I thought it was only for films and music. Congratulation for a successful event.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

We sold several of the fragrances "By Kilian" at the independent beauty boutique where I used to work and they were always very unique in the customary perfume line-up. Customers were delighted to find something that not "everyone and their sister" wore, and yet were still relatively affordable. I'm going to check this one out!
I can only think of the SNL takeoff of the Brad Pitt Chanel commercial and giggle!